Tuesday, January 10, 2012

Caveman or Caviar? Am I Caught Up?

I live in the future. I use a device that shoots microwaves into my food to make it warm. I use a little plastic rectangle to talk to my brother in Colorado face to face. I take pictures and send them to my mom in the blink of an eye. This was the stuff of fiction not too long ago. But am I on the cutting edge? Or am I behind? Does my aunt know more about the World Wide Web than I do?

No she does not. But I do not admit that I am at the top of my game when it comes to things of the future. I only recently started reading eBooks (which are incredible, by the way). Podcasts are not part of my daily routine. And sometimes (I find this hard to admit), I check my analog watch to see what time it is. Programming is completely foreign to me and I wouldn't even know where to begin learning about it. Am I going to become on of those stubborn old people, constantly complaining about "newfangled devices"? Does it even matter?

On a scale from 1 to Borg, I think I am about a Geek Squad. Meaning, I know a bit about technology, maybe even more than average, but I still have a ways to go. But I don't worry about it. I don't think my robot butlers will hear many "back in my day" speeches from my future self. I get to learn every day.

1 comment:

  1. I think there needs to be healthy mix between stubborn old and bleeding edge new. Know enough to be comfortable of the technology around you so you can comment intelligently on issues as they come up (e.g. SOPA & PIPA) But don't try to read the internet every night either.

    And do get into podcasts.

    ReplyDelete